Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fabulous Hibachi Experience

While visiting with my dad's family during Christmas vacation, we went to a Japanese Steakhouse. The restaurant was named Shang Hai Ichiban located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Their are 3 sections to the restaurant, each a different kind of food. Japanese, Chinese, and Sushi. We went to the Japanese part of the restaurant. It is a Hibachi style restaurant. Hibachi is when you get your personal chef and they cook your food right in front of your eyes. There is large griddle in the center of the table, and that is were the chef cooks your food. The griddle is big enough for you to make dozens of pancakes. The link below will lead you right to the home page of the Shang Hai Ichiban restaurant.

We were seated at a table which was a half square and the chef and the stove was in the middle. I think the best spot to sit was in the front of the chef because he gave out tastes and extra samplings of food. Our chef threw in a couple of pranks. The chef threw out pieces of leftover shrimp for us to catch in our mouthes. I had a very bad but funny experience trying to catch a piece of shrimp in my mouth. While trying to catch a piece of shrimp, I leaned too far back in my chair and fell right over. I didn't even get the piece of shrimp. While cooking our food, the chef really showed off his knife skills. I wonder if he had tons of safety training for that. Our meal started off with a very good bowl of soup and then our chef started cooking our dinner right in front of your eyes. I had a very fun time with my family there. Hibachi style restaurants can be found really anywhere. I would go back to that Hibachi restaurant anytime I was able.

2 comments:

  1. Piet,

    I'm so pleased that you've maintained this interesting food blog throughout the years. Can't wait to follow your summer cooking and gardening endeavors. Take care!

    -Kim Loper (from Kenwood Rec Center)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. I laughed out loud at your shrimp catching story. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete