Sunday, August 7, 2011

First couple of days at the farm

The first day that I was on the Farm, the interns were not with us. It was just Norm and me. Most of the stuff we did on my first day were maintenance tasks and chores.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Day 1

  • We fixed the mower tractor attachment which was tangled with irrigation tube.
  • Norm let me drive the John Deer tractor/lawn mower down to the barn from the apple orchard.
  • I got to participate in cleaning one of the horse stall. Then we brought the bedding to the compost pile.
  • Norm and I walked the fields to see what might be in the next box for the CSA members.
  • Chores, which included feeding the chickens and checking for eggs and feeding the horses once we rounded them up.
  • I got to participate in bringing the house compost up to the compost pile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Day 2 the interns arrived and Norm, the interns, and myself started doing more serious work on the farm.
__________________________________________________________________
Day 2

  • I had the chance to meet the interns and have a little Monday Morning Meeting where we talked about what we would be doing this coming week.
  • I had the chance to harvest the cucumbers, summer squash, pan pan squash, zucchini, and raspberries.
  • Transplanted Romaine Lettuce.
  • Planted seeds for beets and carrots.
  • Norm let me drive the John Deer again.
  • The interns and I weeded the 300 foot Serrano Pepper bed.
  • I got to help with the chores which includeds the chickens and horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment